What Is An ITIN?
ITIN is your Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, a tax processing number issued by the IRS for
individuals who aren’t eligible for or don’t have a Social Security Number (SSN).
ITINs help taxpayers abide by tax laws and are helpful for the seamless processing of tax returns and payments. If your ITIN has expired, you cannot file your taxes.
Some people find themselves in a tricky position where they want to file taxes, but their ITIN has expired. ITINs can expire when you don’t use them on a US federal tax return within a specific period. You must request ITIN renewal before you can file a US federal tax return in the future.
Fortunately, AmeriTax can help with that. Our expert tax team in North Texas can request a renewal on your behalf. Once your ITIN has been reinstated, we can help you with tax preparation, consultation, and filing.
Do I Need An ITIN?
- You don’t have a Social Security Number
- You’re not eligible for a Social Security Number
- You have been asked to get one, or you need to file a federal tax return and are:
- A non-resident needing to file a tax return in the US
- A US resident alien who needs to file a US tax return based on the days they were present in the US
- A US citizen or resident alien’s spouse or dependent
- A non-resident alien visa holder’s spouse or dependent
- A non-resident alien claiming a tax treaty benefit
- A non-resident alien student, professor, or researcher required to claim an exception or file a US tax return
How to Apply for An ITIN
- Provide us with your original or certified copies provided by the issuing agency and ID documents
- We’ll do the rest! Typically, the ITIN renewal process involves completing and submitting form W-7 and providing the document types listed above.
Help, I’ve Filed With An Expired ITIN!
Not every tax filer will know that their ITIN has expired when they file their federal taxes. So, what happens if you have filed with an expired ITIN?
Generally, the IRS will process returns filed with an expired ITIN. However, some tax credits or claimed exceptions applicable to that ITIN will not be permitted. The IRS will likely send you a notice explaining the return changes they’ve had to make and instructing you to renew your ITIN.
Once you have renewed it, those previously declined exceptions or tax credits can be reconsidered. However, it’s important to know that you might be subject to any penalties and interest for tax owed.
Contact our expert tax team for further advice.
Why Choose AmeriTax?
Navigating the tax system can be stressful, especially when you’re trying to do it alone. We’re here to help. AmeriTax is well known for:
- Tax preparation and consultation
- ITIN renewal
- IRS audit assistance
- Tax filing
- Rapid reimbursement loans
- Fast tax refunds
- Year-round service
- Online refund tracking
- Free consultations
- Friendly service
Contact AmeriTax to Renew Your ITIN Today
Renewing your ITIN to file your US federal taxes shouldn’t be complicated, and we make sure that it’s not. Contact AmeriTax in North Texas today to learn about our complete range of tax services, including ITIN renewal, IRS audit assistance, tax filing, and more.